7 Things to Consider When Purchasing a Bedroom Dehumidifier
A dehumidifier is a powerful tool that can make your living space much healthier during both the summer and winter months – giving you the kind of weather adaptability you need to face the changing seasons. By extracting the air with high moisture levels from the surrounding area using a fan, a dehumidifier removes the moisture from the air and lowers its temperature. This, in turn, makes your bedroom less humid, more comfortable to live in and allows for a peaceful night’s rest.
A dehumidifier can become an essential appliance in your bedroom and to your home with its numerous benefits for your health. These benefits include the following:
- It reduces humidity levels, making your home less hospitable to allergens such as dust mites, mold and mildew.
- It is not disruptive to your daily life as it runs quietly and efficiently allowing for the avoidance of sleep deprivation.
- It reduces odors that can accompany mold and mildew in your bedroom.
- It reduces the possibility of mold developing on your clothing, furniture, curtains, bed sheets and other linens.
- It reduces irritation to your skin and your respiratory system – allowing you to breathe easier and feel more comfortable, especially at night.
- It allows clothing to dry faster.
- It reduces dust in your bedroom.
There are plenty of great reasons to get yourself a dehumidifier; however, even though now might seem like the perfect time to buy one, you should take a moment to thoroughly consider the following:
What You Need It For
The full spectrum of dehumidifiers are used for radically different things. You don’t want to be stuck with an industrial flood-recovery dehumidifier in your bedroom, but rather one that is small and works perfectly at relieving allergy symptoms or prevents mildew in a smaller space. Once you know what you’re going to use your dehumidifier for, you can make a more informative decision when purchasing one and avoid creating a space too dry for your needs.
Know Your Space
It’s important to choose the right size dehumidifier as the unit may not be able to remove enough moisture from the air if it is too small and could remove too much if it is too big. If you get a dehumidifier that is too small for a room, it will waste energy by working too hard and won’t have the longevity that you need. For best results, select the right sized unit based on the square footage of your bedroom.
Home dehumidifiers are rated by their pint capacities which need to be right for the size of your bedroom in which the dehumidifier will be used. Something to keep in mind is that units with a higher pint capacity are more efficient in both moisture removal and energy use.
Make sure you spend some time doing your research on different brands before making your final purchase. Think about what will work best for your particular needs as well as the size of your bedroom. Different brands offer different types of models with different features including design, capacity and draining method. All the different types are designed with the features necessary to resolve humidity issues in their designated spaces. Familiarizing yourself with the different types and their features will help you make an educated purchase. Taking the time to do this might also save you some money down the line.
What Is Your Bedroom Temperature & Humidity Level?
Both indoor temperature and humidity levels affect the performance of dehumidifiers. Using a dehumidifier in a low-temperature space like a garage or basement, you need to make sure that it will continue to operate efficiently in the cold climate. The coils in the unit may freeze up and it could become ineffective. If you need to dehumidify a space with extremely high humidity like a warm bedroom, then you’ll need a high-capacity unit that can handle large moisture loads.
Does It Have a Drain Hose Attachment?
All dehumidifiers collect the water that they remove from the air and you should consider how yours will eliminate this water. Standard dehumidifiers contain buckets that you must empty regularly and automatically shut off when the buckets are full. Most modern dehumidifiers come equipped with drain hose attachments which allow water to drain away without you having to empty buckets. This feature is especially important if you want to use your dehumidifier throughout the night in your bedroom. When purchasing your dehumidifier, for your convenience, make sure it includes a drain hose attachment.
Different dehumidifiers come with various special features, so if you are looking to have the coolest dehumidifier on the block, (aside from possibly needing to get out more) you should definitely determine which functions will be indispensable for you. It is important to ask yourself what features you need, and how it would benefit your dehumidifier usage. By knowing what special features some dehumidifiers have, you can find one that suits your bedroom environment better. Here are some important features to be aware of:
- Ducting: Many dehumidifiers allow for ducting so that you can dehumidify multiple spaces at the same time. Ducting also lets you hide the dehumidifier in a closet or a separate room.
- Caster wheels or handles: Both of these features allow for easy mobility throughout your bedroom.
- Humidistats: A humidistat is an electronic device which responds to relative humidity instead of temperature.
- Controls: For your comfort, remote and digital controls are available to help control your appliance from your tablet, smartphone, or just remotely. With these controls, you can turn the appliance on and off as well as control various other settings without leaving your bed.
- Integrated timers: If you only want your dehumidifier to remain on for half the day, but you won’t be able to turn it off, you can set the integrated timer so it automatically does so without you having to be there.
Where to Put It
The most important aspects of having a dehumidifier are where you place and install it. You can have the best machine on the market, but it will still be less than useless if you decide to strap it to your bumper. Once you’ve purchased this appliance for your bedroom, you need to know exactly where to put it to get the best results. This simple, but important choice can make a huge difference in comfort and efficiency. For your bedroom, a single dehumidifier is most efficient when placed in the center of a large room with at least a six inch clearance from all sides. By shopping carefully for a dehumidifier and installing it with care, you can get the best results for your bedroom.
With so many health benefits, getting a dehumidifier for your home can save you a lot of money in medical bills and getting someone in to get rid of dust mites and mold. Remember to do your research and shop around to be sure you find the perfect unit that suits all your needs. The installation of this appliance can take your bedroom from being uncomfortable to being a comfortable place all year round.